Wednesday 11 March 2015

Octopus, soup and tarta - my favourites Galician dishes

My last post was about weather in Galicia. Today I'd like to write about the Galician cuisine, which is really delicious. When I was there I tried to use every occasion to try some new dishes. I must admit that my first contact with tradicional Galician cuisine wasn't really good. The first dish wich I tried was a tuna pie (empanada gallega de atĂșn) and it was exeptionally untasty. Fortunately, it was the first and the last time when I had such a bad experience with typical food from this part of Spain.
As Galicia is situated by the Ocean, it's not any surprise that in it's regional cuisine dominate fish and seafood. One of the most known dishes is fair style octopus (pulpo a la gallega). It's prepared with boiled octopus and paprika and it's usually served with potatoes. I can surely recommend this dish to all of you.
The typical Galician soup is Galician broth (caldo gallego) which is prepared with cabbage, collard greens, turnip, white beans, potatoes, lard beef and chorizo; sometimes we can add also some kind of other meat like pork, spare ribs or bacon. This dish is really tasty and very good for autumn and winter dinner when we want to warm up.
The last dish about which I'd like to write some words is typical Galician cake, wich is called tarta de Santiago. The recipe for this dessert is very simple. We need only almonds, sugar, lemon peel and eggs. It's incredibly sweet like all Spanish sweets but also delicious. I'm not very fond of sweets but this tarta is one of my favourites.

There are of course lots of other Galician dishes which are incredibly appetizing, but there won't be enough place to describe all of them, so I wanted only to present my favourites ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment